Saturday, January 4, 2014

Vienna 1/3

State Hall
Alright, I'm only getting more behind. This is bad for you but good for me, because it means I'm too busy to write and I'm having a great time, which I am. I'm going to Berlin tomorrow!!! The first day in Vienna was a busy one, as were most of the days there. I went straight to the big sites. State Hall, Butterfly House, a dog park and a falafel stand. It was a lot of walking around and buying of tickets to get into all the places. After spending a few hours wandering around all the historic buildings near State Hall, I took a little breather and just peopled watched for a while. Then I went to the Museums Quartier and looked at a bunch of the shops and installations. Found some great books. Okay, they were picture books. I don't really speak German so don't be surprised. I bought a graphic novel about a very violent penguin, a card game called Black Stories and another book of illustrations of Simons Cat. Feel free to look these things up.
Almost bought it
Art Installation, I guess...
 After perusing lots of funny illustrations I went to the Leopold Museum right next door. I mostly went, like other destinations, because a friend recommended/wanted me to go. There was an exhibit of Egon Schiele's works. I realized I'm just not a giant fan of art. I liked some of them but there weren't many paintings, in the entire museum, that really wowed me. Except for the earliest ad for soup, given below. I took a bunch more pictures and I think I'll just add a link to a picasa album a little later. If you're dying to see those pictures, let me know. I kept exploring the musuem after Egon and there was a lot of Kokoschka's works as well, no pictures taken of him though.


 After the museum, I did some walking around looking for cool street art as I thought it was just right around the corner but alas I couldn't find it. It was also dark by the time I left and I felt like I had seen enough today. I'm finding that as soon as the sun sets my energy level just plummets and I just want to go back to my couch. On the way back I went to the grocery store, to pick up a few things for cooking. I noticed two things. Almost everything can be found in a tube, it;s not just for toothpaste, and they have a funny idea of what American beers are. I walked back to the tram stop and went back to the apartment, cooked, talked to my hostess for a while and sent many more couchsurf requests. I know this was not a lengthy post, but details/energy/enthusiasm are lost when I don't post immediately...




 

No comments: