Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Prague Night Two, because nothing fun happens during the day

As previously mentioned, nothing fun seems to happen during the day. I have just enough money to do the laundry, it's self service but it costs way too much but I feel like that's just a hotel thing, don't even dare touch the minibar... Well, if they had a minibar that is. I spent most of the day trying to get some more cash, making phone calls on my laptop, blabla minor inconveniences. Eventually I am able to use my credit card as a one time ATM card. Conveniently located downstairs in the hostel is an ATM. But of course that one doesn't work with my card. Neither does the other one a few blocks away... But the third time is sometimes a charm right? Well, luckily that held true for this time. The third time was an ATM in one of the nearby subway stations. I take out probably more than enough money but it will get spent eventually. It feels so nice to have cash again so what do I do next? I go to a supermarket and I buy some groceries, anticipating most places being closed the day after new years. Canned goods, fruit, bread, cheese, tomatoes and of course some snacks, gotta try the local junk food. Wasabi flavored potato chips here I come. I go back to the hotel, pay the rest of what I owe them but the exchange rate is higher today (bad for me) but I have really good puppy dog eyes (good for me) so I just pay them what I originally owed them with that date's exchange rate.
Christmas Market
Later that day I meet up with Monika and do some more sightseeing and walking around. We go to this cool cafe that's in the back of a tobacco store. They have a lot of drinks, tea, coffee, various types of alcohol, and some snacks. We wait for her friends to meet us there, order some more beer/wine and play that game, I think its called pick up sticks, where you just drop a bunch of sticks on the table and pick them up without moving any other ones, pick up sticks, right? We're all there for the rest of the night, talking, mostly in Czech. Midnight is approaching and we walk/run towards the river to see the fireworks. The fireworks last for a while and we watch/listen. Go back to the cafe eventually. They want to close and are hinting that its time to leave but we take our sweet time, the guy at the register was not so pleased... We leave and go back to the apartment of a friends sister. Pick up some wine and snacks on the way. One problem, there wasn't a corkscrew, we improvise with a knife and end up getting some cork in the wine and some wine on the wall. We stay up really late but eventually go to sleep on various surfaces in the apartment. Because at that point, it doesn't exactly matter where you sleep, just that you sleep.

No comments: