Monday, January 27, 2014

Amsterdam 1 (I'm working on my posts)


When I first arrived in Amsterdam my host met me at the train station, not used to it but its always nice when it happens. She gave me her almost expired train card since she had already gotten a new one so for the first few days I didn't need to pay for the trams. Couchsurfing is great. I was kinda tired so we just got back to her place and I had some beer and chocolate for dinner. Her neighborhood seemed like it was straight out of a movie, all the houses painted the same color, just curving with the empty street.




The next day I got a fairly extensive tour of the city. We went to a big outdoor market, where I sampled a bunch of things for breakfast, herring sandwich,  a fresh stroopwaffel (caramel got all over my beard), some samosas from this indian grocery store (couldn't resist), mini-pancakes and a veggie croquette from heaven. I bought some groceries for dinner. After I had my fill we went walking around. Her mom worked in the tourist industry so she even knew the alley in the red light district with the beautiful women. I didn't know that was a thing but apparently it is? As soon as I turned the corner and saw one of the women standing in the window I felt so uncomfortable. I never thought I'd actually be there seeing it for my own eyes. I guess surreal is also a good word. We also went to a supermarket where I found the international food section and found the "American" food, marshmallows, yellow mustard, mac n cheese, mayonnaise and some other random things. Oddly enough the Doritos were not part of that section despite the name of their flavor.


Cool Ranch, American Ranch
What's the difference?

No comments: