Friday, December 27, 2013

Welcome to Budapest.

My flight to Budapest was fairly early, 6:40 am to be exact, and I knew you needed to get there early. I figured I would end up taking a taxi at 3am but that wasn't exactly very appealing. I couldn't find anyone who had a flight as early as I did so nobody wanted to split a taxi with me. So, I decided to go super early and leave with a friend and share the taxi with her around 9pm. We get to the airport and in the 30 feet between the taxi door and the airport doors we already get stopped. A security guy asks to see our passports and asks us a bunch of questions, I guess I look suspicious? My friend's flight is at 1am so I go with her to check luggage with hope that I can check mine too. So we get on the first line, pre-security screening and x-ray scans of the checked baggage. Well my friend puts her luggage through and they send her over to extra inspection and they send me to the counter so I can get it checked. Turns out I have to wait till 2am, 4 hours before my flight to check my stuff and I need to carry it around with me until then. Until 2am... I go back to my friend and they are just giving her the whole 9 yards. I have to return my Israeli simcard so I tell her to just meet up by a cafe for whoever finishes first. By the time I come back (I may or may not have been distracted by a dog) she is still there. They made her unpack all her baggage. Did I mention how 100% American she is?
She finally gets through and we say goodbye. I still have over 2 hours before I can check my big backpack. So I watch The Road while half falling asleep. Blablabla... It's 3am and I'm by the gate and kinda hungry. I go see my food options. I've always wanted Sushi at 3 in the morning. And so it was. The flight boards, I kinda nap. Take some pictures of the mountains and clouds. We land. I check to make sure I have everything. What's that front left jeans pocket? You feel kinda empty? Hmm... Well I better check to be sure. Oh now, you're right. My little wallet isn't there. Which means neither are all of my credit/debit cards. HA HA HA... I check all my pockets, under the seat, to the side of the seat, rip off the velcroed (didn't know it was velcro before I ripped it up) seat cushion. Check my backpack, I check everything, 3 times. Nothing. It's okay, I have enough cash on me to get to where I need to go and last me Budapest at least. Good thing I already paid for my eurail pass. I still have my passport and some cash at least. This makes for a fun start to my trip. I talk to the stewardess and explain the situation. They help me look until the cleaning crew comes and I need to leave. I get my stuff and find the lost and found, she barely understood english but she knows enough to tell me she can't help me at all... Welcome to Budapest. It's 12:15am and I want to sleep. Thats all for now.

No comments: